One of the problems that I have often run in to with building re-usable components in an application, is the ugly require statements that I have to use: The deeper the folder structure, the worse it gets! So how do we get rid of this ugliness? Reduce The Ugly My goal is to reduce require […]
Over the weekend, I attended and spoke at the Nodevember conference in Nashville, TN. At this conference, I spoke on the subject of destroying your IDE in favor of using smaller, light-weight, flexible and composable tooling like Grunt, Grunt-Contrib-Watch and others. I had a strongly positive amount of feedback from the session, which is always […]
I found myself needing to run a debugger on my Jasmine specs. The really fun part is that I am running these specs through the grunt-jasmine-node plugin for grunt. This means what I really need to do is run a debugger on top of grunt, and have it hit my Jasmine specs when they get around to being executed.
In a previous post, I showed how to run browserified unit tests in a headless browser using PhantomJS and grunt-contrib-jasmine. Shortly after posting that, I found myself needing to run a debugger on my tests (because console.log debugging is not sufficient). What to do? How do I get a debugger attached to my grunt-contrib-jasmine specs? […]
(Like how I totally made that epic gruntjs logo with the watch on it’s face, for grunt-contrib-watch? I’m such a rock-star designer. You should totally hire me for my hawt photoz skillz! :P) I’ve been using both Nodemon and grunt-contrib-watch a lot in the last month. These are both great tools, and I think […]
I’ve had a number of people ask about testing browserify modules, after I posted about how I’m using browserify with Backbone and Marionette. The truth was, I had not yet looked in to this and I wanted to remedy that. But, when i first started thinking about this, I wasn’t quite sure what to do. […]
I’ve been using grunt-contrib-watch to automate various processes that run when a file is changed, lately. It’s a pretty slick tool that has helped me create a pretty slick setup. But I was consistently running in to a problem where a single file save from macvim would cause two change events to fire in the […]