Following from my March 2nd presentation of the 5 Stages of Entrepreneurial Grief, I had the opportunity to turn that presentation in to the keynote address for the SpaceCityJS conference in Houston Texas on March 28th. I recorded the talk and have uploaded it to youtube for everyone to watch.
In this talk, I go through not only the 5 stages of grief, as applied to developers and the work we do, adding my own “Stage 0: Frenetic Energy” and some additional lessons learned.
Unlike the previous 5 Stages of Entrepreneurial work, this version of the talk does not have such an exclusive focus on the entrepreneurial side of software development. Rather, it focuses on the human side of software and the problems that we face as developers. From open source work, to corporate life and client work, the emotions we deal with are an important part of our lives and something that must be discussion more openly and honestly if we are to move ourselves, our communities and our industry forward.
From the denial of the value that we provide, to the anger we face on social media and the acceptance of the work we do, this talk is a raw, open and honest look at the emotions and struggles that we face as software developers.
Resources From The Talk
Along with this talk, I reference a number of resources and links. I also have the slide deck and all of the images from it available on Github. Check out the resources here:
- The Slide Deck And Images on Github
- The 5 Stages of a SaaS Bootstrapper’s Grief – the original blog post
- The 5 Stages of Entrepreneurial Grief – the first version of this talk, from PrairieDevCon 2015
- SignalLeaf – my podcast audio hosting service
- Entreprogrammers – my weekly mastermind group. We record our weekly sessions and release it as a podcast
- Open Sourcing Mental Illness – Ed Finkler’s work on mental illness in technology and the work place