A while back, I wrote a blog post title The 5 Stages of a SaaS Bootstrapper’s Grief. In this post, I add my own take on the 5 Stages of Grief – which are typically talked about in the context of dealing with loss – and apply the stages to entrepreneurial work.
On March 2nd, 2015 I had the opportunity to turn that blog post in to a presentation for the PrairieDevCon 2015 conference. I recorded the talk and have uploaded it to YouTube for everyone to watch.
In this talk, I go through not only the 5 stages of grief, as applied to entrepreneurial work, but also add my own “Stage 0: Frenetic Energy” as well as some additional lessons learned.
If you’re interested in building your own products and/or services, and are wondering what the reality of trying to sell things is really like, you should watch this video.
Resources From The Talk
Along with this talk, I reference a number of resources and links. I also have the slide deck and all of the images from it available on Github. Check out the resources here:
- The Slide Deck And Images on Github
- The 5 Stages of a SaaS Bootstrapper’s Grief – the original blog post
- SignalLeaf – my podcast audio hosting service
- Entreprogrammers – my weekly mastermind group. We record our weekly sessions and release it as a podcast
- Open Sourcing Mental Illness – Ed Finkler’s work on mental illness in technology and the work place